Monday, November 16, 2009

The Gift of Caring and Acknowledgement

Wow, today was a really run day. Today was the first day that I got my new "toy", um or should I say, educational technology tool, and in a word "AWESOME!". I don't know how to begin to share what a blessing all of you were and continue to be in caring for me and for my students. When I presented the technology to my students I started by saying, "There are people that you have never met nor will probably ever meet that care about you, your education and your future." They were shocked. Some students audibly said "No there's not", others "Yeah, right", yet others sat there with a perplexed and slightly amazed expression on their faces. As I continued to tell them the story of our new technology and how it came to be students were grateful, excited and for many of them one of the few moments in their educational career they have felt proud. They were able to have something that not many other people get to have. Our class has something special. They have something special and dare I suggest they may be someone special. We had an incredible day figuring it out, trouble shooting, them laughing at my "third grade hand writing" and them being very grateful for the new tool. One table of girls that had an exceptionally hard time seeing the board before had smiles from ear to ear and after I had finished notes for the day I asked them, so... and received heart felt, "that is awesome!".

We are excited. We are blessed. I am humbled. I hope that my students make you proud. They may not be on the honor roll, they may not go to an ivy league school, or maybe the will. Maybe one student will pass my class that wouldn't have been motivated to do so before. One student took notes today for the first time since he's been back at school (behavioral issues), maybe just maybe hope will be shared.

I know I have said it many times and I will say it again, we are blessed. Matt and I are blessed by incredible family, friends and support. I am amazed and a bit humbled to know that you are even reading this. Like Matt said in his last post we would love to hear from you. Please feel free to use the comments on the blog to let us know you're listening, facebook, email or a phone call. We will do our best to keep up our end of the deal as well.

To all of you that gave, thank you. To all of you that prayed, thank you. For all of you that continue to keep us in your thoughts, thank you. For those of you that have sent notes, emails, etc. thank you. You are wonderful and a blessing.

Ps... I will post pictures soon of my students and our new toy... I mean... educational technology tool. :-) (One student did tell me today that I was like a kid that just got a new toy for Christmas)

4 comments:

  1. Jenny,

    I love reading about your class and your experiences with your kids. You sound like a proud mom, one who truly loves each and every one of them. Even though you've got little ones and I work with college students, I feel like I can completely agree with your posts for the hopes and dreams for our kids.

    I know we haven't talked for years, but I do miss you. Thanks for writing for those of us who were never very good at keeping in contact with old friends. I'm praying for you and Matt as God brings you to mind. Each post gives me something new to pray and praise for. God bless you both!

    Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenny and Matt--

    First off, thank you for creating The Ploeger Family blog! It's a privilege to be able to walk through your lives, using the internet as a device to connect with the two of you as you embark on a new journey.

    Secondly, Jenny--I'm delighted to hear that your licensure crisis is settled, and your technology need has been met. It sounds as though you have a wonderful group of students and fellow instructors at Juarez, and have been given a tremendous opportunity to help others succeed.

    Finally, Matt--Your classes sound like they're going quite well, and I must admit I'm jealous of all of the theological training you're getting. I hope and pray that you continue to grow as the leader and teacher (seminarian, minister are such blah words) that God has called you to be.

    Give me a call sometime, if you can...there's much to catch up on in all our lives!

    Hello from Lisa and I here in Des Moines...

    -Travis Risvold

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got goosebumps reading that. G-d is so good and he always provides. Continue to be blessed and to be a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments. You are all great! :-)

    ReplyDelete