Sunday, November 8, 2009

Culture Shock, Craziness and the Comfort of Friends and Family

Well, it's almost been a month since my last post. I keep thinking, "I should really blog more often" or "It's about time I sit down and blog" and then I get so nervous about what I'm going to say or how I'm going to say it that I give up and walk away for another week. But at long last I'm here, and I have all intentions to finish this post (although I had those intentions the three other times I have sat down and started a post I had the same intention).

Over the last month I have been overwhelmed by how blessed we truly are. I recently posted about a need and desire for some new technology in my classroom. I was hoping there would be a chance that in the 5 month time span that the project would exist on DonorsChoose it might be finished. I was blown away that in 2 1/2 weeks that need was met. The portable, interactive whiteboard has been ordered and it should be here within the next two weeks. Each day I eagerly check the mail and dream about the impact it will have on my students. Each day I am inspired by your comments, your support and your trust to push myself and my student farther and to do the very best I can with what I have been given that day. I am reminded that we do not walk these journies alone, but are surrounded by a cloud of witnesses and supportive friends and family close and far.

I am proud to say that I officially am a licensed, ENDORSED, Chemistry teacher in the state of Illinois! It took 8 weeks after school started, but it is official and I even have the piece of paper to prove it. It's comforting to know that after all of your support that I will be able to legally be able to continue to teach my kids afterall. :-) I have also discovered that the reason it was a bit difficult to get my first endorsement in science in Illinois is that they have restructured their system so once you have one science endorsement you have much more flexibility in teaching the other sciences. Which is phenomenal (although I won't believe it until I verify it from three separate sources), and will allow me more flexibility in the future as our needs at school change.

The latest news is that tomorrow, I will be beginning my master's work. It's a bit of a long and quick story. In short, we decided to make the sacrfices to allow me to work on my mater's while Matt is in school so that we can both finish. It is an online program that will also allow me to get certified in Billingual Education. I am really excited. Nervous and a more than a little worried of how this is all going to work but I trust in God's timing and His plan. I take one class at a time for five weeks, so I will start and take the first class and we'll reevaluate after that.

Life continues to be good, challenging, blessed, frustrating and inspiring. We recently celebrated the life of our dear friend, and my "thrid Grandpa" Frank on what would have been his 98th birthday. As we mourn the loss of a kind and wonderful spirit, we celebrated the man who inspired, that loved and we loved. We have had a fire in our apartment building (nothing serious), a friend's trip to the emergency room, a quick trip to Iowa (for the funeral), and in it all we are surrounded by supportive friends and family. When I become overwhelmed by culture shock, when I feel incompetent and out of my league, someone is always there at the right moment. When it feels like I am going to stay in bed forever and it will all just go away, I am reminded about the thoughts of friends and family that are supporting us along this journey. Thank you for your continued support. Thank you for your emails, facebook comments and continued support. We are blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment