Sunday, August 30, 2009

Beginning to feel at home...

Ah, transitions. It's amazing the things that you know will happen from a distance but when the reality of them sets it they can still be a surprise. I can hardly believe that we have been in Chicago for a month now. It has been a month of excitement (sometimes more than necessary) of challenges and of new beginnings.

Before we left Pella I told several of you that I knew when we moved to Chicago there would be some tear filled days, and they came. About a week and a half ago life became overwhelming. Dear friends that aren't across town or an hour a way, a new schedule and adjusting to life with
Matt as a student, stress over the teacher license, and culture shock of city life. I am really grateful to my study abroad experiences that helped me to be able to identify some
of the stress and emotional reaction for what it was an to give me tools to start moving past it. I am blessed with an amazing husband who has been incredibly supportive every step of the way. When studying abroad they suggest that if you can avoid it to not call home in the middle of culture shock or if you do to make sure you call back later to let your family know you really are okay. That's why this entry is coming now, on the other side.

This week has been incredible. Last weekend we consulted our dear friend, Google,
to help us find a new church to visit and ended up at New Life Pilsen. This was the third church that we have visited in the city, and will be the last in
the search for a church home. When we arrived we were greeted by nearly every person that was there and had a good long conversation with one of the deacons and one of the elders. We laughed as half of the congregation made sure we really did intend to be there for the Spanish service. From the moment we walked in we were home. Yesterday I was able to be a part of the Back to School Bash that our church held at my High School (it is about 3 minutes from my school). The community came out for a celebration of the beginning of the school year. Children received school supplies, free dental screenings and cleanings, vaccinations, and haircuts to be ready for the first day of school. We are incredibly excited by the community focus and service hearts of the church and are blessed with the opportunity to join this body of Christ.

The back to school bash was put on by our church and hosted at my High School. It was a great way to reconnect with the administration and start meeting some of my students. On the school front, an update on the license: I spoke with my principal on Friday and let him know of the situation. He has put calls in to two contacts that he has with the Illinois Board of Education (ISBE) and will be following up on Monday. He was not concerned and told me that every year that have had one teacher that has a license crisis and this year I'm the lucky one!

Greek is over! Matt took his Greek final on Friday morning and we have been enjoying the break from studying. He worked very hard at the class and we will find out next week how it went. Friday night started orientation for McCormick and we have been blessed to meet new friends within the seminary community. Now that Greek is over we look forward to being intentional about building relationships within the community. Matt signs up for classes on Tuesday.

God is so good and we are excited to see where the next steps of this journey take us. I'm sure the tearful days are not over, but Chicago is beginning to feel like home. We miss you and love you all! Hope to hear from you soon.

Love,
Jenny and Matt


1 comment:

  1. I hate to say it but I think you are right about the tearful days not being over. We think of you all often and are so happy that things are working out. I am super excited that you have found a church...it has taken David and I two years to find another church like we found in Fort Worth....we are hopeful that Journey Church is for us, we have gone a couple times now and are feeling comfortable. Can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete